Vintage Style (for a good cause!)

January 19, 2012

Well last weekend I polished my shoes, curled my hair and put on my glad rags! Why? For a wonderful night of music and entertainment all in aid ALONE.
My friend Chris organised a fantastic charity night called The Good Old Times last Saturday night to help raise awareness of, and money for, the charity ALONE. ALONE helps elderly people who may have no close family and who live in isolation, to help support them and maximise their independence. ALONE relies purely on donations and volunteers to keep it running and to keep providing help. They are amazing cause and you can read more about them here: http://alone.ie/vision-values-history/


There were tons of acts involved on the night: singers, dancers, burlesque acts, magicians and escape artists. And yours truly? Well she was recruited to set up a table doing vintage hairstyling! Yup! I had to do a lot of learning in preparation for the night but I got some great compliments on the styles I created and everyone had a wonderful time. Would you like to see some photos of the night? Of course you would! My great friend Rosco was the photographer on the night. You'll have to 'like' his photography page on Facebook to see them but it's worth it: https://www.facebook.com/oyster.zepplin


Now, as it so happened I only had ladies in my chair on the night, but I was more than willing to dapper up any gents who might have requested it so in preparation I went looking online for some nice, smart, vintage hairstyles and I put together a collection of the classics:
Smooth, sharp and swoon-worthy gents indeed! What do you think? Gene Kelly sure was a handsome man! Have I missed anyone obvious? Look at those sculpted finger-waves on Donald O'Connor - he's one of my favourite actors for his wonderful performance in 'Singin' In The Rain'... he could dance almost as well as Kelly but was fair more skilled in my opinion in the fact that he could prat-fall and clown about without missing a beat - some serious talent to look so silly yet be physically pushing yourself to the limit. Honestly, check out the last 30 seconds of this clip for an iconic scene of running-up-walls dancing!
Do who would you have in your top list of vintage gents? You might have guessed by my selection that I like musicals - They sure don't make 'em like the used to! (Though I'm looking forward to checking out The Artist). Drop me a comment above and let me know!
- BE

1 comments:

Clarke said...

Thanks for posting the clip! I guess I'm showing my age, but I'm old enough to remember that there was a time when you didn't have to be vulgar to be funny. Diane and I are fans of classic movies.

Post a Comment