Room 104 (aka: how to make a great barbershop promo)

June 28, 2012

I've highlighted some barbershop videos on here before ( Inspiration Part 5 ) but I saw this promo from Room 104 posted on Facebook today and I just wanted to share it with you all.
I think it's fantastic. It conveys a strong brand identity, class, style, it's nicely shot and edited, and the atmosphere is kept light and real because of the 'out-take' style shots included (where the models 'break character' etc.).

Room 104 from Jeremy Toth on Vimeo.
Now maybe you don't like this style of barbershop, or the model's 'look' isn't your thing, but you can't deny that this video has great presence to it.
I love how they have those moving-stills shots like something out of an American Crew poster. 
And the little details - the stitching in the clothing, the book on cigars under the bottle of whiskey, the motorbike, and my favourite... a moment so 'blink-and-you'll-miss-it' that its barely noticeable, but if you look at the model's hands at 47seconds in you'll see a patch of dried skin peeled off the thumb-tip. For me that's brilliant. These hands not afraid of hard-work. These hands lift and push and carry and work. The model is somewhat stereotypical "handsome, not-young/not-old, just enough grey to look classy, gentleman" but these hands have seen life. I love it. Probably not intentional but that's even better. 
Videos like this just get my mind racing, planning the day when I'll have my own place and all the little details to go with it... someday...
-BE

0 comments:

Post a Comment